#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Cosmology and the relationship of cosmology to materialism are fascinating
subjects. I would just like to add some elaboration on two points in the long
posting on "How did the university begin?"

Louis Proyect wrote:
 > On the In Defense of Marxism website, you can find a three part article
> (  http://www.marxist.com/science-and-technology/ )  by Adam Booth on
> "The  Crisis in Cosmology". In part one Booth wants to make it clear that
> Marxists have no truck with any theory that the Pope could embrace,
>  even mistakenly. The "big bang" and some related theories are just too
>  close for comfort as a kind of creation myth:

Earlier this year Pete Brown commented on Adam Booth's views on cosmology in
an article entitled "Marxism and Science". This is a brief excerpt from the
introduction:

"...Booth's series of articles on cosmology appeared on the IMT website
beginning on November, 17, 2014. Entitled "The Crisis of Cosmology", this
series is a broadside attack on present-day cosmology and an attempt to
substitute Marxist-sounding rhetoric for science. This is a completely
mistaken approach to how Marxists should approach science and scientific
debates.

"Marx and Engels were materialists who enthusiastically but critically
accepted the core of the natural science of their day. They embraced the
latest scientific achievements and promoted the advances made by Darwin and
Morgan among others. Booth tries to put himself in the Marxist tradition by
criticizing contemporary cosmology and doing so with the help of quotations
from Engels. But in the process he puts himself at odds with the scientific
attitude of Marx and Engels. If contemporary cosmology were a pseudo-science
and its practitioners nothing but charlatans, Booth would have a point. It's
all very well to criticize some wild speculation, but today's cosmologists
have actually discovered new, important facts about the universe, facts
ignored by Booth. "

Subheads are:

* [Booth's demagogy on] Creationists and Beginningists
* Booth in the Dark
* Ignoring Facts...
* ...While Spouting "Infinity"

The full text is at
http://www.communistvoice.org/DWV-150221.html

 > The other two articles in Booth´s series mostly amount to arguing against
> the wisdom of synthesizing quantum mechanics and Einstein´s theory of
> relativity. Plus some quotes from Lenin´s polemic against
> Empirio-Criticism, a work that is mostly of interest to the archivists
> among us.

The problem is Booth not Lenin. Lenin's "Materialism and Empirio-Criticism"
is an exceptionally good work, and it has an approach towards science that is
diametrically opposed to that put forward by Booth. In this work, Lenin did
not stand in the way of the new discoveries taking place in physics and
nitpick at them , but instead saw them as part of the progress of
materialism, and as showing the necessity of dialectical rather than
mechanical materialism..Thus he backed Engels saying that each epoch-making
discovery in science requires materialism "to change its form". That's
materialist philosophy changing in order to adapt to scientific discoveries,
not science being held back by dogmatic generalities. This goes against the
Trotskyist Booth, who embraces the old form of materialism as tightly as he
can; against the adventures of Stalinism in theoretical physics; and against
the mechanical materialism that still has a lot of influence in various
circles.

-- Joseph Green