#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I don't think we should read too much into the term "partner".  It just means
that the Syrian Democratic Forces and the United States have a common enemy
(ISIS) and are cooperating to fight against it.

Michael Karadjis says that the SDF is fighting what he calls "the US 'war on
terror' against ISIS and HTS".  Michael Probsting calls the YPG "foot soldiers
of US imperialism."

The SDF fights against ISIS, HTS and other reactionary forces for its own
reasons, not because it is subservient to the US.  These reasons include the
facts that:

1. These reactionary groups oppress the people in the areas they control,
especially women and religious minorities;

2. They have attacked areas controlled by the SDF (and its precursors such as
the YPG/YPJ);

3. They are proxies (or perhaps we could call them "partners" or "foot
soldiers") of Turkish intervention in Syria.  This intervention is both an
extension of Turkey's domestic anti-Kurdish policy and an expression of
Turkey's imperialist aspirations.

Turkey and its proxies are currently the main threat to the Democratic
Federation of Northern Syria.

The SDF has tried to avoid armed conflict with Assad regime forces, though
quite a few clashes have occurred over the years, including recently at Deir
Ezzor.  In general, the SDF's approach is one of self defence rather than
trying to win a military victory over the regime.

The downfall of the regime can only occur if there is a revival of democratic
struggles in Assad-controlled areas.  The SDF can't substitute for that.

Chris Slee