#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 2/24/18 10:59 AM, John Reimann via Marxism wrote:
Sure, the issue of gun regulations of some sort only touches the surface of
the issue of mass shootings. What really needs to be addressed are the
issues of prevalent violence, alienation, narcissism, and the cheapening of
human life in US society. But given its prominence, we can't afford to
ignore the issue of gun regulation nor have a knee-jerk reaction.
Your thoughts?

John Reimann

For some reason, Trotskyists have had a pat answer to this question based on a dogmatic understanding of the need for workers self-defense. In reality, the only use of such weapons occurred during the Minneapolis strikes when hunting rifles were stored at teamster headquarters. I doubt that we'll ever reach a point where a 30-30 is illegal.

Back in the 30s, you didn't have deranged 19 year olds taking a semiautomatic weapon to a high school and opening fire on their peers. The underlying issue is the mental/societal breakdown taking place against a backdrop of economic decline and the glorification of violence through video games, TV shows, and the reality of imperial war.