#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 8:10 AM, Chris Slee <chris_w_s...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Karadjis says:  "... the Israel-Iran clash is a
> war of rhetoric, predicated on geographic distance."
>
> It is not purely a war of rhetoric.  Israel has bombed Iranian targets in
> Syria.
> While Iran is distant from Israel, Lebanon is not.  Israel is worried at the
> growing strength of Hezbollah, which is an ally of Iran.  Hence Israel takes
> military action against the Iran-Hezbollah alliance.

There are two issues here. First, whether Israel is "worried" about
the "growing strength" of Hezbollah (and hence this is the reason for
Israel hitting Iranian/Hezbollah targets), and second, whether these
strikes mean that the Iran-Israel "conflict" is something more than a
mere "war of rhetoric" as I assert.

On the first question, you only "worry" about someone if they are a
threat to you. Is Hezbollah (or Iran) a "threat" to Israel, or does
Israel consider them a "threat"? I consider the very idea to be one of
the more laughable assertions in world politics today. When Israel
launched its recent, Putin-sanctioned, attack on Iranian assets in
Syria a few weeks ago, it claimed to have wiped out half of all
Iranian assets in Syria. That took an hour or so. So let's forget the
obvious nonsense that they are a threat. Perhaps Israel is "worried"
that they are a mere nuisance rather than threat. For example, they
might fire the odd rocket over the border (from Lebanon) or over the
occupied Golan line (from Syria). The only problem with this is that
they DON'T. Ever. The last time Hezbollah bothered Israel on the
Lebanese border was when they captured a few Zionist troops in 2006;
Israel responded by destroying half of Lebanon and killing 1500
Lebanese civilians. The last time Hezbollah or Iran attacked
unprovoked over the Golan line from Syria was ... NEVER. In terms of
*response*-attacks, of the 100 or so times Israel claims it has hit
pro-Iranian forces in Syria, Hezbollah responded ONCE (a couple of
years ago in response to the attack that wiped out a bunch of Hezb
leaders), and Iran responded ONCE (a few weeks ago in response to
Israel attacking an Iranian base south of Damascus the previous day,
something ignored in most media). The time Hezbollah responded a few
years back, Israel responded again, and then all the signals from both
sides were that neither wanted more conflict, and they were both
satisfied that they had each symbolically done enough for their
credibility (being, as I explained, a war of rhetoric). After all,
Hezbollah was more interested in getting on with killing Syrians,
while Israel likewise wanted to get on with killing Palestinians.

So no, I can't see that Israel can be too "worried" about Hezbollah's
alleged "growing strength" (growing presumably via the massive wastage
of its cadres lives, resources and credibility in slaughtering Arabs
for Assad).

Why then does Israel keep hitting Iranian assets in Syria? Chris says
the fact that it does this shows that it is more than just a "war of
rhetoric." But by war of rhetoric, I'm talking about the *explanation*
for the conflict - ie, that its purpose is primarily the propaganda
needs of the two theocratic and/or sectarian projects - it does not
necessarily imply that only rhetoric is involved in practice and never
minor clashes (though it does tend to imply that I doubt the "major
war" scenario: and given that Israel has been threatening to attack
Iran "within days" or "within weeks" for the last 25 years, I think
that is vindicated to date). As I said, the war of rhetoric (whereby
both sides depict the other as some kind of 4th Reich) is predicated
upon geographic distance. When for quite different reasons - ie,
Iran's aid to Assad's dictatorship against its people - pro-Iranian
forces appear in the vicinity of the Golan which Israel sees as its
"border", then the war of rhetoric does put pressure on both sides to
"do something", or the nonsense be exposed. Of course, only the
stronger side carries out the actions, thereby also helping maintain
its role as top regional gang boss, not playing second fiddle to
anyone. Israel always makes sure that its attacks do no harm to
Assad's war efforts; it never attacks the Iranian cannon-fodder on the
ground, when fighting in an Assadist siege (Ghouta for example), only
missile storage places etc, missiles which Assad does not need or use
for the battle (he has a Russian airforce)..

Of course, maybe my explanation is wrong. The problem is that I can't
think of a better one. It is certainly not because Iran or Hezbollah
are a "threat". It is certainly not because they are an inspiration to
the masses of the region to rise up against the imperialist order. The
usual explanation falls back on "rivalry", hence similar to the actual
Saudi-Iranian regional rivalry. I explained above why that doesn't
make sense to me, but I'm happy to listen.

> Neither RKOB nor Michael Karadjis mention the conflict between the Turkish
> state and the Kurdish people, even though I would have thought that this was
> one of the "fundamental and long-term conflicts of interest" in the Middle
> East.

I forgot that it is necessary to ALWAYS bring up Rojava and the
Kurdish issue, no matter the discussion. Sorry about that Chris, but
believe it or not, the world does not revolve around Rojava, important
as it is. As I said, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict "is part of the
more general main contradiction in the region, that between all the
imperialist and regional reactionary regimes you listed, on one side,
and the peoples of the region on the other." The conflict between the
Turkish regime and the Kurds is another aspect of this.