#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

“This BBC article claims that the numbers of just Uighars numbers
between 7,000 and 10,000 depending on the source. Of other ethnic
fighters they say a “high concentration.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-45401474”.

That article, dated September 2018, also made the claim that
“thousands have taken up arms against the government, including
jihadists linked to al-Qaeda.” To have some credibility, media such as
the BBC should at least keep up to date. There are no “jihadists
linked to al-Qaida” in Idlib, as anyone free of post-9/11 “war on
terror” ideology is well aware, unless they mean the handful of
pro-Qaida, ex-Nusra folk in Hurras al-Din, many of whom are in HTS
prisons.

Anyway, the article quotes Assadist MP Fares Shehabi that there are
10,000 Uighars in Idlib. Not sure if you consider a regime hack a
credible source, but based on his assertion that there are 100,000
“al-Qaida-linked” militants, my tendency would be to divide anything
he says by about 100.

As for the “war on terror” style AFP article:

“This AFP article gives the number of just Uighar fighters (as opposed
to them and their “families”) between 1 and several thousand. It also
mentions high concentrations of Chechens.
https://www.afp.com/en/news/23/foreign-fighters-syrias-idlib-face-last-stand-doc-18x6wz1”.

The BBC article said “several thousand” including their families. So
about 1000 fighters is probably about right. It also corresponds
better to what we hear on the ground. There are not exactly daily
reports of huge numbers of Uighar fighters, though here and there
there is reference to the TIP. Certainly nothing in the order of
either HTS or its opponents.

Most estimates put HTS strength at about 10,000 fighters (that is also
the number given in the BBC article by UN's special envoy for Syria,
Staffan de Mistura, who erroneously claimed they were “associated with
al-Qaeda.”

However, referring to these numbers, Ahmad Abazeid, a Turkey-based
Syrian analyst, “says that figure is an exaggeration and the fighters
number only a few thousand.”
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/09/looming-battle-idlib-180908142026400.html

I’m not sure who is correct, but one thing for sure is that Nusra
numbers were never estimated as any higher than 10,000, though given
that HTS is a coalition of Nusra (now JFS) with 5 very small groups
(not all jihadist), Lister’s 12,000 figure may be correct, but again I
would urge caution given Abazeid’s analysis.

Overwhelmingly, these are Syrians, because when Nusra (now the core of
HTS) and ISIS split in 2013, there was a very heavy divide between
foreign fighters (overwhelmingly went with ISIS) and local fighters
(overwhelmingly with Nusra); after all, Nusra resulted from a
“Syrianisation” of this otherwise foreign invader force from Iraq.
However, there are a small number of foreign fighters with HTS, mostly
Arabs.

Nearly all other armed groups in Greater Idlib (ie, Idlib, southern
and western Aleppo province, northern Hama and Latakia) are part of
the National Front for Liberation (NFL) coalition, which includes the
Free Idlib Army, which is itself a coalition of the major FSA groups
in Idlib, and the Victory Army (Jaysh al-Nasr), another FSA coalition
based in northern Hama. The NFL also includes Islamist groups like
Ahrar al-Sham and many others.

According to Abazeid, “NFL is the biggest force [in Idlib] in terms of
numbers and geographical presence and weaponry.” Most sources suggest
it has some 30,000 fighters (some estimates are as high as 70,000).
According to the article quoting Abazeid, he “also cast doubt on those
estimates.” But the quote from him “casting doubt” is merely “But NFL
is a local formation, not an organised army, and therefore it's
difficult to estimate its numbers.”

That is very true: it is local; it is somewhat decentralised precisely
because it is based directly in the communities and villages (as are
most HTS cadre); it is an entirely indigenous fighting force.

And here’s the thing: the most entirely local, indigenous, Syrian
fighting forces are the FSA, and the mainstream Islamist groups.
Regardless of how one assesses the varying politics, they are
literally the sons of the soil.

Overwhelmingly, this is also true of the YPG, among Kurdish Syrians.
But just as HTS has a component of foreign fighters, so does the YPG.
It is well-known that even at a leadership level, some of the PYD are
actually PKK (ie, from Turkey). And everywhere that they either
liberated or conquered in Syria was blessed with a gigantic
cult-of-personality style portrait of Ocalan, a Turkish citizen.

Now, we are not obsessed with borders, and the Kurds can well claim
that Kurds from Turkey and elsewhere are part of their Kurdish nation.
Yeh, I have no problem with that, because I’m not the one obsessed
with “foreigners.” The Arabs claim the same about the Arab nation,
after all.

The overwhelming majority of foreign fighters fall into three categories:

1.      The 63,000 Russian fighters who have fought in Syria
(https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-says-over-63-000-troops-fought-syria-141424820.html)while
their government bombs Syria, Vietnam-style, from the skies.

2.      The global Shiite jihadists, from Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan,
Pakistan and Lebanon, who account for some tens of thousands of troops
fighting for the Assad regime.

3.      Sunni jihdists, overwhelmingly in ISIS, itself an Iraqi-origin
organisation. As we are speaking of Idlib, ISIS was expelled root and
branch from the whole of Idlib and the whole of western Syria by the
rebels in early 2014.

Therefore, in terms of local v foreign composition/control, we can classify:

1.      Completely local: FSA, anti-Assad Islamists

2.      Mostly local, with some foreign fighters and/or traditional
connections to outside-of-Syria organisations: Nusra/HTS, PYD/YPG

3.      Heavily dominated/controlled by foreign states/agendas: Syrian
regime, ISIS

“So I think “thousands” was a reasonable number.” Yeh, could be, or
perhaps 1000. Out of many 10s of 1000s.