#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Richard Fidler said:

This is a recurring discussion on Marxmail and on any number of left web sites
at least once every two years in line with the US elections calendar. How do we
build a mass left party in the mighty USA? May I modestly suggest you look at
some nearby examples in other countries for some ideas on how this might be
done. As it is, I think the US left suffers as much as the Anglo-Canadian left
from its insularity.

I posted this month two articles to this list that just might have some
relevance to your dilemma, and as usual when I post such items they met with no
comment and to my knowledge no interest. But I think some of you might find it
useful to look a little more closely at a phenomenon right on your doorstep, in
Quebec. Here, once again, are those articles. A search of the Marxmail archives
would reveal much more. Or, for my pieces alone, a search of my blog:
http://lifeonleft.blogspot.com/ <http://lifeonleft.blogspot.com/>. Just look
for "Québec solidaire." Every
national experience is unique, sui generis. But some generalizations are
possible, if we probe deeply enough. And there is much to learn from each.

Ken Hiebert replies:
I read Richard’s reports on Quebec, and in particular Québec solitaire, with
great interest.  And I expect others do as well, but I wouldn’t be surprised to
learn that while they take heart from his reports they also feel that the
situation is so different in their own country, that they can’t see how to
apply the lessons of Quebec.
I will concede that there is insularity in English Canada. But even if in
English Canada we are closer to the experience in Quebec, it also seems
somewhat remote from what we confront in our own part of the country.

Speaking from a distance, I would still like to contribute to the discussion in
the US.  If we are to make a break from the Democratic Party, it must start
with the limited forces we now have.  The first initiatives will be small and
have a modest impact.  Is there another way to break with the Democrats?
Should we wait?  What would we be waiting for?  Inaction on our part only
reinforces the hegemony of the Democratic Party.

Québec solidaire can be traced back to small, far left groups.  There were
years of slogging before they got where they are today.  That, I think, is a
lesson that can be taken from the Quebec experience.