#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I agree with Michael Karadjis that Trump views China rather than Russia as the
major rival to US imperialism.  But this does not exclude some rivalry and
conflict between the US and Russia.  An example is US anger over Turkey's
decision to buy S-400 missiles from Russia.

Michael dismisses the idea that Turkey would try to invade northeastern Syria.
But Turkey's invasion of Afrin shows its determination to crush the democratic
experiment in northern and eastern Syria.   A Turkish invasion of northeastern
Syria can not be ruled out.

Turkey would have to consider Russia's reaction to such an invasion.  While
Russia gave permission for the Afrin invasion, it would not necessarily do so
for northeastern Syria.  Russia seems to prefer a negotiated agreement between
Assad and the Democratic Autonomous Administration.  It could use the threat of
allowing a Turkish invasion as a tactic to pressure the DAA to accept a bad
deal.

Chris Slee