#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

(For years now, I have been posting excerpts from a WSJ article written in 2012 about the CIA blocking MANPADs from reaching the Syrian rebels from Libya. It was only now that I discovered from Michael Karadjis's article that it was also blocking anti-tank weapons. So, when Assadists used to "explain" the embargo on MANPADs being dictated by the need to protect civilian airliners, I should have asked them whether tanks were being used to bus children to school in Damascus. Given the mindset of Max Blumenthal, Vanessa Beeley, et al, I am surprised that I didn't get such an argument.)

The Australian, August 13, 2012
CIA polices weapons entry to Syria as the spooks invade Turkey
Byline: JOHN FOLLAIN, TONY ALLEN-MILLS, ISTANBUL WASHINGTON

DESPITE mounting calls in Washington for a more aggressive US military role in Syria, the CIA has been quietly working along its northern border with Turkey to limit the supplies of weapons and ammunition reaching rebel forces, Syrian opposition officials say.

``Not one bullet enters Syria without US approval,'' one official complained in Istanbul. ``The Americans want the (rebellion) to continue, but they are not allowing enough supplies in to make the Damascus regime fall.''

Details of the CIA's policing activities offer a rare insight into the complex struggle for regional advantage that is rapidly developing at the margins of the Syrian civil war. Conducted mostly by clandestine agents from the US, Britain, Saudi Arabia, Israel and Iran, the conflict has turned Turkey's rugged border provinces into a hotbed of arms dealers, spies and would-be fighters.

Over the past 10 months, a Syrian opposition official told The Sunday Times, the CIA has blocked shipments of heavy anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons, which rebel units of the Free Syrian Army have long said are vital to their efforts to overthrow the regime of President Bashar al-Assad. At the same time they have approved supplies of AK-47 Kalashnikov rifles, and just over a month ago gave the green light to a shipment of 10,000 Russian-made rocket-propelled grenades.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/cia-polices-weapons-entry-to-syria-as-spooks-invade-turkey/news-story/4209b7f1bce83979b8af29edb1128681