#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I deal extensively with the question of the TOW missiles in my article. Re
the US embargo on anti-tank weapons, yeh this article Louis posted was from
2012 when US spooks turned up on the borders to prevent anti-tank and
anti-aircraft weapons getting to the rebels. The first TOW anti-tank
weapons were received by some rebel groups in April 2014, ie, that embargo
was lifted 2 years later. My article thoroughly goes through the whole
story oft he rise and fall of the TOW, the restrictions on them, and the US
cut-off of them once it was clear the rebels refused to give up the fight
against Assad and direct all their fire against ISIS.
The offensive you refer to where rebels took out a lot of Assad tanks with
TOWS was early 2015 (certainly not 2016, by which time the program was well
and truly shut down). In my opinion, this relatively one-off success was
due to other factors of the moment. As you say, the total number of TOW
ATGMs (anti-tank guided missiles) distributed to the rebels over 2014-15 is
reckoned to be about 1000. It is difficult for me to figure out how
decisive that could be considering the regime itself had some 5000 ATGMs -
as well as the 9000 or so tanks and armoured vehicles.