#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I have been observing that a number of posts are there advocating an
Independent Kashmir.
Let me make it clear that Kashmir has been an integral part of India since
millenia. At the time of Partition, the people of Kashmir opted
to remain in India, but Pakistan had forcibly taken away the Western part of
Kashmir and it has been the point of contention between the
two neighbours. And Pakistan has made Western Kasmir as its base to breed
terrorism. Whether Kashmir should remain as apart of India
or is to be decided by the people of India and certainly not by those outside
its borders. The rise of Taliban and and Afghan War and
fundamentalism has fuelled separatist feelings in the people of Kashmir.
It is true that in the last 30 years, successive governments in Delhi tried to
suppress the legitimate democratic demands of the people of
Kashmir. An overwhelming majority of Indians want Kasmir to enjoy full
democratic rights and that it should remain as a part of the
Indian Union. The two main Communist Parties also adhere to this stand.
I strongly object to the tone of the messages, picturing India as an occupier
of Kashmir. It is a distortion of history.
Vijaya Kumar M