#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 3/9/2020 10:15 AM, RKOB via Marxism wrote:
... 1) Which states concretly are sub-imperialist?

I'll work on a listing but the characteristics I've proposed give you a clear idea.

...as far as I know, Patrick (and others) characterize China and Russia as such states.

At times, yes; this is a fluid category - as are the categories of imperialist or "core" or "periphery."

So if one of the main characteristics of sub-imperialist states is that they act as "regional deputy sheriffs", my question is simple: who's deputy are they? Who is the boss they are serving? U.S. imperialism? No one can seriously claim this! Of "global capital" which is not related to any Great Power?

Yes, multilateral corporate neoliberalism, which both Xi and Putin strongly support, as so much recent evidence demonstrates.

This seems to me the only possible conclusion of such a position. But then, such "global capital" above the sphere of national states is a myth which was wrong already in past (including the period of globalization in which this claim became popular) and which is even obvisously wrong today.

2) What are the political consequences of such a characterization? If the U.S. is imperialist (on which surely everyone here agrees) and China and Russia are "sub-imperialist" (i.e. qualitatively less imperialist), should one side with China/Russia against the U.S.? As we all know numerous Stalinists and Bolivarians arrive to such conclusions.

What about siding with workers, peasants, women, environmentalists, youth and all others who toil against the depradations of elites everywhere - including here in Africa where they often get material support from Western imperialism and from Chinese and Russian subimperialism alike.