#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

To state the obvious, if you have a health care system that can't get more
than that small part of the population tested, most Covid-19 cases and
deaths are going to take place among the untested.  As was the case in
1918, the epidemic causes a lot of deaths by heart failure and pneumonia.
This is why we only have estimates from 1918--so many of the deaths were
ascribed to those immediate causes of death.

Although I didn't get the details, I did hear the tail end of an interview
the other day reporting that deaths from heart failure are 400% higher than
they ordinarily would be.  I didn't catch the context--where it was,
etc.--but the takeaway on this is that people are already doing these sorts
of studies, and we'll hear much of this in the future, even if it's not
going to be grabbing the headlines.

That approach is going to give us the best real measure of the impact of
the coronavirus . . .

Or we can just embrace the BS cynically spread by officialdom and its
self-serving right-wing apologists.