On Aug 23, 2009, at 10:42 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> (Silone does not come across as a very admirable character here,
> especially serving as a fascist snitch...

Why this slander? Wheatcroft wrote "It does seem that Silone had at
least some contact with the police, who  had arrested his one
surviving brother, Romolo (who would die in prison at the hands of his
captors), but it’s hard to see evidence of any great betrayal."

> , but "Bread and Wine" is one of
> the finest leftwing novels I have ever read.)

And "School for Dictators" is one of the finest early books on
fascism, ranking with Guerin's "Fascism and Big Business."

Shane Mage