======================================================================
Rule #1: YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
======================================================================


Change we can believe in, eh?

On Jan 22, 2010, at 12:15 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> ======================================================================
> Rule #1: YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
> ======================================================================
>
>
> NY Times, January 22, 2010
> Detainees Will Still Be Held, but Not Tried, Official Says
> By CHARLIE SAVAGE
>
> WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has decided to continue to
> imprison without trials nearly 50 detainees at the Guantánamo Bay
> military prison in Cuba because a high-level task force has
> concluded that they are too difficult to prosecute but too
> dangerous to release, an administration official said on Thursday.
>
> However, the administration has decided that nearly 40 other
> detainees should be prosecuted for terrorism or related war
> crimes. And the remaining prisoners, about 110 men, should be
> repatriated or transferred to other countries for possible
> release, the official said, who spoke on the condition of
> anonymity because he was not authorized to speak about the numbers.
>
> There are just under 200 detainees left at the detention center.
>
> President Obama established the task force shortly after his
> inauguration last year as part of his administration’s effort to
> deal with the detainee issues left behind by the Bush
> administration. It was facing a deadline of Friday to complete its
> work.
>
> For the past year, national-security and law-enforcement officials
> under the direction of Matthew G. Olsen, a Justice Department
> lawyer, have been pulling together scattered files for each
> detainee at Guantánamo. They evaluated any evidence against each
> man, the perceived threat he might pose if released, and the
> possibility of successfully prosecuting him.
>
> The group made recommendations that were then evaluated by senior
> administration officials, led by Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.
>
> But the determination about which category to put each detainee in
> leaves other questions unanswered. For example, of the roughly 110
> detainees who are set to be transferred to other countries, about
> 30 are Yemenis, the official said. The administration recently
> halted transfers to Yemen in the wake of the attempted bombing of
> an airplane bound for Detroit on Christmas — a plot believed to
> have been developed by an affiliate of Al Qaeda based in Yemen.
>
> In addition, Mr. Holder is charged with deciding whether the
> prisoners who are to be prosecuted should face a civilian trial or
> a military commission. In November, he announced that five
> detainees would face a military commission and five others —
> including Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the self-described mastermind of
> the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 — would be prosecuted in
> federal court.
>
> ________________________________________________
> Send list submissions to: [email protected]
> Set your options at: http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/options/ 
> marxism/biastg%40embarqmail.com


________________________________________________
Send list submissions to: [email protected]
Set your options at: 
http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/options/marxism/archive%40mail-archive.com

Reply via email to