Here's where I have problems with Chattopadhyay and others:  "For him, even
though the form of accumulation was not classical in the sense that it was
based largely on accumulation of absolute surplus value," :

1.  absolute surplus value is indeed a classical form of accumulation;
perhaps the most classical form, one to which the bourgeoisie always turn
and return when push comes to shove.

2. to accumulate absolute or relative surplus VALUE, value must be the
organizing principle of property and labor; the production and reproduction
of value for nothing other than the reproduction and accumulation of value
must be the purpose, the necessity, the essential axis upon which everything
rotates.

3. Can we actually say that the production of value was that organizing
principle of property and labor?  If so, we need to know not just why the
Soviets did such a piss-poor job of it, but how they did it without
embracing the international bourgeoisie, without in essence doing in 1933
what it did do in 1991.  To say that the Soviets were permeable to the
eruption of millions of pockets of petty capitalist reproduction; that the
Soviets were eroded from the inside by the failure to overcome the laws of
value is different than saying that the Soviets were engaged in a system of
value reproduction.  We might want to make a distinction between surplus
labor and surplus value.  Certainly the USSR developed through the
accumulation of surplus labor and surplus product; but did that mechanism of
accumulation take on the identity of surplus VALUE?