Mark Lause writes:
> Obama had some leaway, I think, but chose not to attempt to negotiate
> anything better for the traditional Democratic constituencies.

I dare say this starts from the wrong premise. Obama was able to get
ruling class backing precisely because the ruling classes were completely
convinced that he was going to march to the beat of their drum, and
not do anything so rash as attempting to negotiate a better deal for the
people who think of themselves as the "traditional Democratic constituencies."

ie, when the ruling classes want a new dog to guard their hen house, we should
expect that the hound they choose, from the plentiful supply available to them,
will not in fact turn out to be a fox or jackal, and that it will actually be
reasonably
well adapted to the job it is designated.

Lajany Otum