I feel sympathy for the underdogs, the adivasi, and so am of two minds
concerning the Maoists in India.

I love to see the state apparatus being challenged. Come on, we all have
a tender spot for rebellions, insurrections, mutinies, guerillas,
well-laid out traps, jungle redoubts, infiltrations, ... Because they
are the underdogs and the might of the Indian army is so much greater
than what the Maoists can muster.

But, and here comes the BUT, but are the adivasi really in charge, not
of tactical operations, which they clearly are, but of overall
strategy ? Are they not trading the exploitation of comprador Indian
bourgeoisie for the shakles of "the Great Party" ?

I have misgivings about Rao's (the leader of the CPI(M)) ideology. I've
read many of his writings and interviews and find him callous, devious,
power-hungry, and prone to condemn anybody who deviates from his line.
He reshapes the entire organization's ideology at every congress,
pointing out deviations, new alliances, new enemies, pointlessly
lecturing people on history, setting new goals, using
Marxist-Leninist-Stalinist-Maoist (in that order) rhetoric in such a way
that his Hindi becomes stilted and formulaic.  I find his idea of a
"party" quite frightening.