Angelus Novus wrote:
What *is* true is that within the left in Germany, there is a fairly
widespread anti-Israel sentiment, compared with the left in other
countries. That sort of thing is the unfortunate consequence of a left
that thinks the proper task of leftists is to get mixed up in the
territorial claims of opposing national collectives.
A longtime and close German friend of mine broke off all relations and
contact with me because of my criticisms (too irreverent, perhaps) of
the Zionist entity. He is a former (youthful) Maoist, and his reaction
had nothing to do with "territorial claims," but rather with what he
perceived to be un-pc speech.
David