On Aug 8, 2010, at 7:01 AM, Shane Hopkinson <chen9692...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> There are 2 reasons why leftists are suspucious of these arguments. One is
> that we think they are not scientific at all - and that its bad science to
> explain
> social outcomes by relation to the genes (for the reasons that Lewontin
> explains).
>
> Also there is a LONG history of using these 'scientific' arguments to explain
> social
> inequalities

I totally get that point if view! I really do.
But as I mentioned in a previous reply to someone, science is a tool to
describe the natural world. Humans use the tool so of course it's subject to
being misused just like any tool. But as much as possible, politics must not be
involved with science. But, politics should be informed by science.

Why do I accept climate change? It's not because it fits into my political
ideology, it's because the evidence has become irrefutable. Thus, I mold my
politics around this fact. When it's the other way around, you have people
denying what should be undeniable (climate change, evolution, etc.) because
it's inconvenient to their existing beliefs.

In regards to evolutionary psychology, I don't know enough about it to form a
solid opinion yet. But what I do know so far, I don't see why it's not valid.
And I'm not talking about any racial difference khrahp. From what I understand
about e.p., we're talking about brain structure induced behavior that
established themselves since we differentiated ourselves as homo sapien, long
before any racial divisions developed. As I understand it, e.p. deals with the
brain that ALL of the human race shares.

Regardless of the validity of e.p. or not, if, IF some aspects of human
behavior CAN be explained by naturalistic means, is it appropriate to ignore
that simply because it's uncomfortable or doesn't fit in one's ideology?

Plus, there's a difference between IS and OUGHT. Even if science explains a
human behavior as having a genetic component, what we do with that information
is indeed political and ideological. We have no obligation to, say, embrace and
promote and celebrate a negative finding simply because it's an objective
finding. Even Darwin wrote, in reference to what he saw as a potential
application of culling the "weaker" members of humanity, that as humans we have
the ability and the responsibility to affect and overcome natural selection! We
have the awesome capability to be charitable and to help and protect the
"weaker" members of humanity.
(Something anti-Darwinists conveniently forget to mention about him.)

Just because there's a history of people misusing science to justify and
further their unethical behavior, doesn't make the science wrong (if, that is,
it actually isn't wrong) it just makes them unethical. The gun has no ethics,
no ideology, no politics. It can be used for self defense, to hunt for food, to
fight on the side despotism or fight on the side of defeating it. The gun, the
tool, exists regardless of how we use it.

Liam