David writes:
I noted from the very *begining* of this discussion, on the day of the coup
attempt (or, whatever) that the whole thing seemed like the gang that
couldn't shoot straight (thank god). The cops COULD of juest offed Correa
and that would of parcipated a real coup by the armed forces. [you mean
precipitated]

 Eva Golinger has answered that quite directly on her website:

DURING THE ATTEMPTED COUP YESTERDAY IN ECUADOR AGAINST PRESIDENT RAFAEL CORREA,
BULLETS HIT THE ROOM HE WAS SEQUESTERED IN DURING THE LATE NIGHT RESCUE
OPERATION. INVESTIGATORS CONCLUDED COUP FORCES WERE ATTEMPTING TO ASSASSINATE
HIM BEFORE HE COULD BE RESCUED. THE CAR THAT TOOK HIM BACK TO THE PRESIDENTIAL
PALACE WAS ALSO HIT WITH SEVERAL BULLETS, INCLUDING ON THE SIDE WHERE HE WAS
TRAVELING.

   It seems to me the US put out the propaganda line that this coup was a
bungled job, last minute thing, a sort of Ecuador police freelance thing, as an
effort to cover its own role in it.

   In any case, I am rather surprised that on a Marxism email list, a number of
people on it can't make up their minds about who to condemn when there is an
attempted US coup in a Third World country. It sounds like a little miniature
version of the German Social Democrat Party when World War One broke out: do we
support the international working class or do we support imperialism? Well,
it's a tough decision, maybe we should just abstain on the war credit vote and
see what happens.