On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 13:05:46 +0100 Dan <d.koech...@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Almost exactly the same figures here in France, as far as unionizing
> is
> concerned.
> Around 10-11% of the workforce is unionized, and only around 8% in
> the
> private sector.

Unionization levels in France have long been close
to those of the US, but the big difference between
the two countries, it seems to me, is that in France
enjoy much greater prestige and public support
than they do in the US.  In France, labor actions
will often be supported by workers, who are not
themselves union members, whereas that sort of
thing seems almost unthinkable in the US.

> The number of unionized workersd keeps falling, due to, in my
> opinion :
> a) the shift away from "heavy industry" (car manufacturing, steel
> production, ...) towards the service industry.
> b) extreme casualization of the workforce and out-sourcing, which
> means
> workers are cut off from each other.
> c) high unemployement (around 11%)
> d) increase in the control of middle-management resulting in fear
> of
> being "singled out".
> e) decrease in the size of the workforce in many firms.

Ditto for the US, UK, and many other advanced capitalist
countries.

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant
www.foxymath.com
Learn or Review Basic Math

> The failure of unions to mobilize workers outside heavy industry
> (petro-chemicals, auto-manufacturing, transport, railways, steel
> production, chemicals..) and education-health (teachers, hospital
> workers, social workers...) resulted in the failure of the 10/10
> movement to counter Sarkozy's policies.
>
> We must find ways to organize among casual labourers, workers who
> are
> employed by employment agencies (Manpower in France), serive
> workers
> (shops, shopping malls, small businesses, the Telecom and internet
> sector...)
>
> Any ideas on this very real problem ?

Ring in the New Year.
Start the year off right with a free camera phone from AT&T.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d3ae64e7adf57f930bst05vuc