RE:  A single democratic state in Palestine ...

Here's a problem I have had ever since many people have (perhaps rightly
--- I am relatively ignorant) concluded that a two-state solution is
impossible....

Can different "groups" however identified --- either racially as in the US
--- European-American and various Peoples of Color --- ethnically as in
French vs. English Canada --- etc. --- can there truly be a fully
democratic system where these two groups live together without one group
completely dominating the other?

I mean is Switzerland an example where that happens?  Has post-Apartheid
South Africa proven that it is possible?

After all the murder and mayhem between Israeli Jews and Palestinian
Christians and Muslims can they come together in a democratic secular state?

Despite the partition of India and Pakistan, I knew many Indians who have
told me that INDIA at least is a secular state where Muslims have full
citizenship rights --- has that REALLY been true with Modi CHANGING things
or has Modi just made explict what has always been implicit?

I am REALLY asking the "nationality" question ----

Even if a two-state solution is unfair and unjust --- isn't it likely that
a single democratic state is completely impossible --- that NEITHER group
will accept it no matter what the "law" says ---

Post 1960s US was supposed to finally put second-class citizenship for
African Americans behind us --- but blacks continue to be killing by cops
disproportionately and voter suppression is alive and well --- ALMOST 60
years after the Voting RIghts Act was passed.

I am not asking this as rhetoric ---- I really do wonder if the fires of
"nationalism" really interfere with people living together in peace in true
democracy ....

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 11:56 AM Dennis Brasky via groups.io <dmozart1756=
gmail....@groups.io> wrote:

> The Two-State solution mantra has allowed policymakers to avoid
> confronting the reality that partition is unattainable in the case of
> Israel and Palestine, and illegitimate as an arrangement originally imposed
> on Palestinians without their consent.
>

> https://portside.org/2024-04-21/two-state-solution-unjust-impossible-fantasy
>

> _._

View/Reply Online (#30040): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/30040
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: marxmail+ow...@groups.io