Hi all, I've got a couple questions... which as far as I know, arn't particularly related to IP MASQ but I've been looking everywhere and havn't been able to find the answer. I find that those on this list are very educated and often able and willing to help. Anyway, here's our general setup: Linux box, acting as internet gateway, 10.10.1.2 & internet IP WinNT server, acting as DHCP server WinNT server, acting as microsoft exchange server Win95 box, the client. Another aspect of our setup is... the preceding 4 comptuers are on one network, 10.10.1.x, we have another network 192.168.x.x connected by router 10.10.1.5. Ok... first problem.... Win95 boxes all receive their IP's from the DHCP server, along with other information, such as linux box as default gateway, and linux box as DNS server. One thing they don't receive from the DHCP which I would like them to is a static route to the 192.168.x.x network, the equivalent of: route add 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 10.10.1.5 I tried doing this with the WinNT option 033 Static Route Option, but it didn't work, it didn't appear to do anything. If anyone has any ideas how I can route to that network it would be greatly appreciated. It's not a big deal though.... that network is reachable through the linux gateway, it will route packets that direction and they'll ge there, but things would be more direct, and would not be dependant on the linux box if i could get taht static route to work. One problem I have is that my bosses want everything to still work if the linux box (internet gateay) goes down. Ok problem number two... On the Win95 client machine we use Outlook 98 as a client to the microsoft exchange server, named CCC_SRV1. Before we added DNS capabilites to the clients they would broadcast asking for the computer whos name was CCC_SRV1, they would find it fine and outlook would continue on its way. Now that DNS is enabled it has a slight problem... DNS doesn't know aything about this NT name... so it asks the DNS server serveral times... "who is CCC_SRV1!" which the DNS server politely replys "I DON'T KNOW you FOOLISH Win95 MACHINE! stop ASKING ME!" It takes a while but eventually the client does stop asking... problem is... sometimes this is after the timeout has passed and outlook decides it can't reach the server. If one clicks retry it usually makes it through. This is not too big a deal, because once things are setup probperly this should work fine, as long as the DNS server is up, and will respond by saying "piss off I don't know" to the client then the client will move on, broadcast, and everyone will be happy. but again... my bosses don't want to rely on the linux box (even though it's far stabler than the WinNT servers...), so I need the client machines to use DNS to resolve names when it's suppose to.,.. but not when using outlook, outlook should just skip to broadcast or resolve in some other fassion. I have tried modifying c:\windows\hosts.sam and lmhosts.sam on the client but that did not appear to work at all. A possible cause of this could be when I run winipcfg.exe it says "NetBios resolution usese DNS" peculier. ANyway, thank you for listening to my rants, despite their lack of relation to IP masquerading, I appreciate the knowledge of those out there and appreciate your supprot. THanks again. Sincerely, Josh Estelle _______________________________________________ Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://tiffany.indyramp.com/mailman/listinfo/masq Admin requests can be handled by web (above) or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
