On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> If anyone has any ideas how I can route to that network it would be
> greatly appreciated.
> It's not a big deal though.... that network is reachable through the
> linux gateway, it will route packets that direction and they'll ge there,
> but things would be more direct, and would not be dependant on the linux
> box if i could get taht static route to work. One problem I have is that
> my bosses want everything to still work if the linux box (internet
> gateay) goes down.
Hehe, just tell 'em it won't. :) Or set up a second machine to
take over if the linux server goes down. That wouldn't be too hard to
do (w/ another linux machine), at least for the routing to the other
network that is. Don't know what to tell you about the windows machines
not accepting the static route.
Heh, and if the NT server goes down too often, you could have
the linux boxen do DHCP too. ;)
> On the Win95 client machine we use Outlook 98 as a client to the
> microsoft exchange server, named CCC_SRV1. Before we added DNS
> capabilites to the clients they would broadcast asking for the computer
> whos name was CCC_SRV1, they would find it fine and outlook would
> continue on its way.
>
> Now that DNS is enabled it has a slight problem... DNS doesn't know
> aything about this NT name... so it asks the DNS server serveral times...
> "who is CCC_SRV1!" which the DNS server politely replys "I DON'T KNOW you
> FOOLISH Win95 MACHINE! stop ASKING ME!" It takes a while but eventually
> the client does stop asking... problem is... sometimes this is after the
> timeout has passed and outlook decides it can't reach the server. If one
> clicks retry it usually makes it through. This is not too big a deal,
> because once things are setup probperly this should work fine, as long as
> the DNS server is up, and will respond by saying "piss off I don't know"
> to the client then the client will move on, broadcast, and everyone will
> be happy. but again... my bosses don't want to rely on the linux box
> (even though it's far stabler than the WinNT servers...), so I need the
> client machines to use DNS to resolve names when it's suppose to.,.. but
> not when using outlook, outlook should just skip to broadcast or resolve
> in some other fassion. I have tried modifying c:\windows\hosts.sam and
> lmhosts.sam on the client but that did not appear to work at all.
> A possible cause of this could be when I run winipcfg.exe it says
> "NetBios resolution usese DNS" peculier.
>
> ANyway, thank you for listening to my rants, despite their lack of
> relation to IP masquerading, I appreciate the knowledge of those out
> there and appreciate your supprot. THanks again.
You have to rename c:\windows\hosts.sam to c:\windows\hosts, and
I think the same is true for lmhosts, before they'll actually be used.
Stephen
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://tiffany.indyramp.com/mailman/listinfo/masq
Admin requests can be handled by web (above) or [EMAIL PROTECTED]