>> Now that DNS is enabled it has a slight problem... DNS doesn't know 
>> aything about this NT name... so it asks the DNS server serveral
>> times...  "who is CCC_SRV1!" which the DNS server politely replys "I
>> DON'T KNOW you 
>
> This is a strange problem. In default case machines are hybrid nodes
> (H-Nodes). This means that first they check the lmhosts file, and the
> browse masters and wins and dns servers before broadcasting. If you wanna
> have them to use broadcasting for name resolution at once, you need to
> somehow tell them that they are a B-Node. Too bad I could not find this
> option in Win95/98's network settings, I don't know where to set it. TO be
> honest, I had a problem because of it, I simply wanted them NOT to
> broadcast, thats why I was interested in finding out how to change the
> node type. Actually, I have set up a DHCP server on my linux and the DHCP
> scope contained the node type settings (netbios node type) and the Win98
> machines seem to have accepted it and they are not broadcasting any more.
> You should try to set your dhcp server to tell the cleints that they are
> B-nodes.

If you don't want queries from the Windows (NetBIOS) namespace to
be polluted across to the DNS namespace, uncheck the "use DNS
for Windows name resolution" under Control Panel, Networks. This
is a horrible hack by Microsoft anyway ;-)

If exchange client still uses DNS, then it's deliberately making an 
internet domain name query, not a NetBIOS query - in this case you
ought to configure the exchange client with the DNS domain name
of the exchange server, not it's NetBIOS name (which seems to be
CCC_SRV1).

I don't think setting the client to a B-node will help you - this only comes
into play when you're doing the NetBIOS part of the query, and DNS
is done after this anyway. The order set is:

B-node: Cache, Broadcast, LMHOSTS, HOSTS, DNS
P-node: Cache, Unicast, LMHOSTS, HOSTS, DNS
M-node: Cache, Broadcast, Unicast, LMHOSTS, HOSTS, DNS
H-node: Cache, Unicast, Broadcast, LMHOSTS, HOSTS, DNS

LMHOSTS is skipped if the "Enable LMHOSTS" option is not set.

HOSTS and DNS are skipped if "use DNS for Windows name
resolution" is not set. 

Unicast in this context refers to a WINS server.

Hope this helps,

Martin.




_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://tiffany.indyramp.com/mailman/listinfo/masq
Admin requests can be handled by web (above) or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to