/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
> | the mini how to uses 192.168.x.x addresses...but I could swear I've seen
> | examples here with other than 192.168. addresses...
>
> They're defined in RFC 1918, among other places. Address blocks set aside
> for private use are:
>
> 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
> 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
> 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
>
> You may use the an entire block or any subnet within it.
>
> | so...the question is can I use 130.x.x.x addresses or is there something
> | "magical" about the 192s?
>
> You absolutely should not use 130.x.x.x. Blocks within that range are in
> active use all over the place. You should only use space from the three
> blocks listed above. They're only "magical" in that they aren't supposed
> to be routed on the public Internet, and ISPs tend to filter them out with
> extreme prejudice.
Hi,
well since the masq box puts it's own IP on packets as they go out I don't see
why having non-private addresses behind the masq box is a problem since they
don't go out on the net anyway.
--
Frank Matthews
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/