/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
Fuzzy Fox wrote:
> /* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
>
> Nick Urbanik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > modprobe ip_masq_ftp
> > modprobe ip_masq_raudio
> > ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60
> > ipchains -P forward DENY
> > ipchains -A forward -l -s 172.160.0.1 -j MASQ
> > but still no joy.
>
> Does your route table point traffic in the correct direction, both ways?
Hmm, perhaps there's the problem. At the machine that is remote from the
college, there should be a default route to the ppp0 interface; at the college
machine, there should be a host route to the ppp0 interface: yes?
> Is IP forwarding turned on in /etc/sysconfig/network?
Yes.
> > 1. What is the right way to do it?
>
> What you've got above looks okay, I guess. Usually you want to specify
> a network with -s, rather than just a single IP, but it should work, as
> long as that's your IP address.
What network would you suggest? The networks in the College? There are about
12 subnets here. But they would not be the source, since this is dial in.
> You can simply add a catch-all rule at the end of the chain, that denies
> and logs the packet.
>
> ipchains -A forward -j DENY -l
Thanks, I'll try that.
> > 5. Since the modules all load happily, and there are no other error
> > messages when I enter these ipchains commands, I assume the kernel
> > is compiled with the right options.
>
> Sure.
That means that at least IP masquerading should work if I fiddle with route,
ppp options and ipchains for long enough...
> > 6. How can I tell if the kernel is compiled with support for IP
> > masquerade?
>
> You'll find out when the ipchains command fails, I guess.
>
> Some time has passed since your post. Is it working now?
No, I have many other things I must do, and I was waiting for some inspiration
before pressing on with this.
--
Nick Urbanik, Dept. of Electrical & Communications Engineering
Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (Tsing Yi)
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: (852) 2436 8660, (825) 2436 8674 Fax: (852) 2436 8643
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/