/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */



Dear folks,

setup:  Linux RH 6.0 (with all updates) dial-in box, connected to large
Ethernet LAN.               Kernel is standard.
want:   to dial in, using an address that is not on either my home or
College network (172.16.0.1), and have IP masquerade change the IP to
match the address of the local machine, so can reach other machines in
the campus network and the Internet, over the dial in.
Also want: to improve security once IP masquerade is working.

Have tried:
        modprobe ip_masq_ftp
        modprobe ip_masq_raudio
        ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60
        ipchains -P forward DENY
        # ipchains -A forward -s 202.40.215.0/24
        # ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.129.0/24
        # ipchains -A forward -l -i ppp0 -s 172.160.0.1 -j MASQ
        # ipchains -A forward -l -i ppp0 -j MASQ
        ipchains -A forward -l -s 172.160.0.1 -j MASQ
but still no joy.
Please could those with experience tell me:

  1. What is the right way to do it?
  2. What am I doing wrong?
  3. Why can't I use -l with ipchains -P forward DENY?  Or if I can,
     how?
  4. Why am I seeing nothing logged?
  5. Since the modules all load happily, and there are no other error
     messages when I enter these ipchains commands, I assume the kernel
     is compiled with the right options.  Is this a wrong assumption?
  6. How can I tell if the kernel is compiled with support for IP
     masquerade?

I have read the latest IP masquerade howto, the latest IPchains howto,
and section 10 of the TrinityOS document, and have missed the answers to
these questions.  Sorry if ti was staring me in the face.  Please help!

--
Nick Urbanik, Dept. of Electrical & Communications Engineering
Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (Tsing Yi)
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   (852) 2436 8660, (825) 2436 8674   Fax: (852) 2436 8643





_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/

Reply via email to