/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
>I am curious as to why you are taking this test,
Because it's one of my subjects (i think that's the right name, you know where there
is a teacher telling pupils about stuff) at the school where I go.
>and why you chose IP Masq as your specialty when it is obviously not.
Well, we had to choose something, and I think IP Masq. is interresting, so I chose it.
We've only had Linux for 3 months (6 hours a week) or so, and I had to learn Linux at
the same time. So I think i've done ok.
>Masq is NOT firewalling. While
>the two are usually found playing together, they are not one and the same.
Ok, yeah, bye when you set up a IP Masq. server/machine, following the IP Masq. HOWTO,
is that then allso a little firewall, or what? Because I think a setup like that
appears somewhat like a Firewall, alt least from my point of view (don't know very
much about firewalls).
>Masq'ing is the act of rewritting packets of information to make them appear
>to come from a certain source (usually the gateway box). While firewalls
>check the packets and match them with "filtering" rules to decide what it
>should do.
Hmm, oh yeah, that's right. But with eg. ipchains you can do some of that stuff too,
that's why I'm a bit confused.
>I would recommend not taking this test until you truely feel IP Masq'ing
>is your specialty.
Well, I can't it's compulsory (again a new word for me, something I HAVE to do, to be
able to get to the next semester. And we do not have to be experts to go to the examn.
So I think/hope it will go ok.
>Specnd some time on this list, experiment, and read all you can.
I've allready done that, somewhat anyways. But I will keep doing it, because I'm using
IP Masquerading every time I'm on the net.
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.