/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


Hi,

I'm trying to set up IP Masquerading and have hit a snag.  My network
consists of the following:

A Win98 box w/ IP address 192.168.0.2
A Linux box w/ internal IP address 192.168.0.1 and external address
24.30.116.XXX (dynamic DHCP address)
A cable modem.

The Linux box is Debian 2.1 release 3 with the kernel upgraded to 2.2.14
compiled according to the IP masq howto.  It is a P100 system w/ 2 linksys
10/100 NICs.  I am using the tulip driver provided by linksys (on the
install floppies) compiled as a module and installed.

Here's the situation.  I can do all of the "tests" listed in the IP Masq
HOWTO up to and including #6 (telnetting to a remote host)  More
specifically, from the Win98 box I can ping any static IP on the net, but
dns lookup fails (I can't ping any hostnames).  I can telnet to static IP's
but sometimes I don't get a login prompt, and on the machines that I do get
a login prompt and have login access to, I can log in, but never get a UNIX
prompt.  I cannot browse (www/http) to IPs or hostnames.  Hostnames fail dns
lookup and IP's hang at "host contacted, waiting for reply".  From the linux
box, I can do anything.

"ifconfig" shows that the network devices are set up.

"route" shows 4 routes: the 127.0.0.1 host, the external network, and
internal network, and the default gateway.

"ipchains -L" shows input as accept, output as accept, and forward as deny
w/ IP MASQ for the IP address 192.168.0.2 (the Win98 machine)

"ipchains -M -L" shows masquerading entries for all the operations I
attemped above (dns lookup, telnet, ping, etc).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob Schmanski

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to