The 1972 CRB Radio Directory for Massachusetts had an entry to
Sterling MF KCA364 31.64 (MF = municipal forestry) - this all matches
the info from the Sterling FD website

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Peter S <[email protected]> wrote:
> One of Sterling's most tragic fires occurred on April 5, 1946 when
> five children were burned to death in a house owned by the Woodring
> family on Redemption Rock Trail. The department was summonsed to the
> fire and responded quickly but due to the distant proximity to the
> center of town, they were not able to arrive in time to rescue the
> children that perished inside.
>
> By 1938 several large capacity water holes had been built in the
> center of town, installed under the NIRA for use as public water
> supply. Included with this system were 27 hydrants scattered
> throughout the center of town and this combined with the larger
> booster tanks built on the newer apparatus helped with the water
> problems that continuously troubled the department.
>
> Also during the late 1930's radio technology was beginning develop
> within the town
> departments. In 1937 Cliff Rugg began working with the Department of
> Natural Resources (DNR) in experimenting with radios for use in civil
> defense. The first radio acquired for the town was a receiver that
> Cliff mounted in one of the Municipal Light Department trucks for
> emergency use during power outages. By 1940, Cliff added a transmitter
> to go with this receiver and by the end of the year had installed a
> second transmitter/receiver unit in another Light Department truck. In
> 1941 Cliff built a radio tower on his garage and the DNR built him a
> base transmitter which he began to use occasionally for both the Fire
> Department and Light Department activities. Cliff experimented with
> this technology for several years before anyone began to take his
> ideas seriously, but finally in 1947 when the DNR. radio network
> changed from AM to FM, he had gained enough support to get the town to
> invest $3500.00 to upgrade the town's radio equipment.
>
> Once the upgrade was complete, Sterling became licensed to operate a base
> station on frequency 31.340 MHz using the call sign "WBPP". Soon after
> this a radio was installed on Engine 3 which made Sterling one of the
> first departments in the area capable of  communicating direct from
> the scene of a fire to the base station without the use of telephone.
> As Sterling continued to to use the DNR radio network for the Light
> Department, Fire Department and Forest Warden activities, other towns
> slowly began join on the network as well.
>
> On July 19, 1949 Sterling re-licensed, changing the call sign changed
> from WBPP to KCA364  and
> continued to operate as such up until March 22, 1958 when Sterling
> moved its Fire Department radio operations onto the Mid State radio
> network, operating on 33.700 MHz under the call sign of KCE537.
> Sterling was one of the first towns to use this channel and continued
> to use it along with the DNR network which remained in use by the
> local Forest Wardens up until 1974.  By the early 1950's, firefighters
> were being issued home radio receivers, some of which were built by
> Cliff from military surplus equipment. With the capability to talk
> directly to firefighters via the radio, Cliff and his wife Helen
> inevitably became Sterling's first Fire Department Dispatchers. Using
> the telephones and radio equipment set up in their living room, they
> would receive and dispatch calls for the Fire and Police Departments
> for almost 50 years.
>
> from the Sterling MA FD website

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"massfire" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/massfire.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to