Hi. Sorry about the delay.

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 07:38:23PM +0800, Xuefer wrote:
> yes! i can't use ExtraHeaders! why?
> with status "Not Modified" mathopd is NOT sending ExtraHeaders
> this make IE send request again and again, get NO cache-control header :(
> the status bar showing "downloading xx images" is "flashing" each time i click the
> link to another page
> not even make traffic high, but make user seeing the images so slow

Bummer. I don't use IE myself, so I can't verify this. Let me try to
understand what is going on.

1. Browser request image which is not in cache
2. Server sends back image with "Cache-Control" header.
   Time passes...
3. Browsers reloads the image with "If-Modified-Since" (I guess)
4. Server sends back "304 Not Modified" response WITHOUT the
   "Cache-Control" header.
5. Browser gets confused and redoes the request.

Is this in fact what has happened?

I think that servers are not supposed to send "Cache-Control" headers
when the response is "304 Not Modified", but it's been a while since
I looked at the HTTP standard.

Cheers
Michiel