On Tuesday 24 July 2007 11:29:22 am Fernando Perez wrote:
> On 7/24/07, Darren Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 July 2007 5:20:40 am Fernando Perez wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > if anyone is still following, please update the tconfig work.  Run
> > >
> > > ipython -wthread
> > > %run mpltest.py
> > > mplconf2.tconf.edit_traits()
> > >
> > > Edit to your heart's content.
> >
> > I can't get edit_traits() working on my machine, but I can do it with the
> > command line.
>
> Bummer.  It's nice to see that GUI for the whole of MPL running ;)

I know, I really wanted to see this. Are you using traits from
http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/source/unstable? I think it has
something to do with my wx, maybe I am out of date, using wx-2.6.3.3:

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/enthought.traits.ui.wx-2.0b2.dev_r12984-py2.5.egg/enthought/traits/ui/wx/ui_panel.py

in create_label(self, item, ui, desc, parent, sizer, suffix, pad_side)
   1000         control.help = item.get_help( ui )
   1001         sizer.Add( control, 0, self.label_flags |
wx.ALIGN_CENTER_VERTICAL |
-> 1002                                pad_side, self.label_pad )
   1003         if desc != '':
   1004             control.SetToolTipString( 'Specifies ' + desc )

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py in Add(*args,
**kwargs)
  11709         Appends a child item to the sizer.
  11710         """
> 11711         return _core_.Sizer_Add(*args, **kwargs)
  11712
  11713     def Insert(*args, **kwargs):

<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: wx.Window, wx.Sizer, wx.Size, or (w,h) expected
for item

> > > You can then save changes via
> > >
> > > mplconf2.write()
> >
> > The mpltest.py script expects there to be an mplrc2.conf file, but it
> > isnt in svn. So the script creates an empty mplrc2_copy.conf file, linked
> > with a default MPLConfig, but if I change some properties of
> > mplconf2.tconf, and then do mplconf2.write(), the mplrc2_copy.conf file
> > remains blank.
>
> Are you sure?  I just ran the test removing the mplrc.conf file from
> my disk, and the mpnlrc2_copy.conf file is indeed created blank, but
> after editing the tconf object and calling write(), I *do* get the
> changes I make written to it.  I can't reproduce your problem...

I updated from svn. If mplrc.conf and mplrc2.conf are both present, I can run
mpltest.py, change mplconf2.tconf.backend.use, call mplconf2.write(), and get
a mplrc2_copy.conf that contains:

# A hierarchical configuration
include = 'mplrc.conf'
[backend]
    use = 'WxAgg'

if I delete mplrc.conf, and repeat the exercise, I get a blank mplrc.conf, and
an mplrc2_copy.conf that contains:

# A hierarchical configuration
include = 'mplrc.conf'

If I delete mplrc2.conf, and I make sure that mplrc2_copy.conf has also been
deleted, the exercise yields a blank mplrc2_copy.conf.

tconf2File works nicely. One comment, it is not indented like the files that
are created by tconf.write(), where sections are indented and subsections are
double-indented.

> > If I copy mplrc.conf to mplrc2.conf, then I can run mpltest, change my
> > tconf properties, call write(), and those changes do get updated in
> > mplrc2_copy.conf.
> >
> > > ps - the auto-generated file now has all class docstrings as comments
> > > as well as traits handlers info.  It should be a pretty good start for
> > > a manually tweaked one.
> >
> > I have not been able to auto-generate a default file. As above, the file
> > is blank after writing.
>
> How are you trying to generate it?  Does the printout on-screen at
> least write a full config for you?

It does. I was creating a RecursiveConfigManager with a string pointing to a
file that does not exist, and then calling that manager's write() method.

Darren