On Jan 4, 2008, at 12:44 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:

> Indeed, compiled code in a project basically forces you to have a
> windows developer in the team who can build the binary installers.
> These days with vmware/qemu it's not the end of the world (it can be
> done in a normal computer running linux/osx) but it's still a pain for
> most of us, no doubt about it.

Not to open a can of trolls here, but I must strongly disagree.

Why does "compiled code" mean "Windows"?

I'd recommend that some OpenGL layer be used from Python. Use automake
for the build system.

We'd have to drop Matplotlib if it required Windows; at the moment we
only have Linux and Macintosh developers (the Mac got in because it's
a Unix platform, but it still took some porting).

I believe that many other scientific research organizations have many
Unix boxes and few Windows machines for their analysis workstations. I
know it's true of the astronomy places that I've visited, but I
haven't seen other science in a while so perhaps Windows has taken
over science, too. But at our facility we can't support Windows for
scientific development.

/me runs away, covering head...

;-)

   - boyd