On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:50 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I defer to your wisdom here: I had no clue about this, so I went for
> the clumsier API.  If you are right, it would also make the
> implementation much simpler, as I had to play some not-totally-obvious
> gymnastics to alter axis creation order based on this parameter.

After quickly going through the mpl source (and in my experience), I
think it is quite safe to assume that there is no master-slave
relation among the shared axes.

> One more, related question: is it possible/reasonable to share *both*
> x and y axes?

Yes, it is possible as I often do.

> It would be really nice if you were correct.  The api could be nicer
> and the implementation simpler.
>
>> Also, how about "subplots" returns a some kind of object so that we
>> may define some methods on it. We can define  "__iter__" method so
>> that above syntax also works. As an example,
>>
>> mysubplots = subplots(4,1, sharex=True)
>> mysubplots.label_outer()
>> ax1, ax2, ax3, ax4 = mysubplots
>
> Mmh, more than I have  time for right now, I'm afraid (I'm really
> pushing it with these little side-trips already).  But if you do have
> a minute to  do it, run with it.
>
> I can only commit to finish the basic implementation with the changes
> discussed above, plus any fixes to share* based on clarifying these
> points.  A fancier object API would be great to have, so by all means
> go ahead if you have the bandwidth!

I, personally, am more interested in implementing some form of a
general interface (base class) for a set of axes, although I have no
immediate plan. If I have a chance to work on this, I will try to
adjust those to work with well your code.

Regards,

-JJ