On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:
> I am curious as to why bar() should even be acting like errorbar().  As a
> user, I would expect bar() to do bar graphs and errorbar() to do error bar
> graphs.  Is there some sort of use-case that I am missing where it makes
> sense to generate errorbars from a bar() function?

Some of this stuff is just really old (circa 2003).  When you have
just a few users and someone sends you a patch, you tend to accept it
:-)

First we had bar, then we had errorbar, and someone wanted the
convenience of easily adding errorbars to bar plots.  Over time, these
conveniences have grown into a fairly complex interface (xerr, yerr,
asymmetric errors).  So it has grown more organically than by design
and some rationalization and normalization of functionality would be a
good thing.  We have to balance that with the downsides of code
breakage, however.

JDH