I have a student here trying to make a webapp for data reduction.  To add
interactivity, we've been using the FLOT package, and may later consider
protovis.  We had thought about making a javascript backend for MPL, but to
just get something running, we went with FLOT for the time being...We're
using EXTJS as the web framework (it's a bit heavy, but has a rich widget
toolkit and documentation).  We use Django on the backend and Orbited to
deal with some communications between the browser and the server (for
example if we get new data from an instrument and want to update it on the
server and update plots that are viewing that data..).  Over the next couple
of weeks (with the arrival of another student), we will be working more with
the plotting aspect of the project (adding legends, zooming, etc).   Also,
for other parts of the app, we're just using the HTML5 canvas...I'd be happy
to work on making the plotting addons as generic as possible so they can be
used outside of our problem domain.  What I'm not sure is whether one wants
to truly use MPL as a backend, or rather to use the MPL philosophy of a
javascript package.

Cheers,
William