Hi Andrew!

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Andrew Straw <straw...@astraw.com> wrote:
> Hi Ondrej,
>
> If I was in your shoes, the first thing I'd do is emit your data to plot
> as a json object and then plot that data using javascript with one of
> the libraries you've listed. Then, after gaining some familiarity with

Thanks for the encouraging email. So I have code up a simple
prototype, using exactly the approach you suggested. Examples +
screenshot available at:

http://github.com/certik/jsplot

(just scroll down with your browser, github nicely renders the README.rst).

> Python->json->javascript I'd think about how such an MPL backend might
> work. A usecase I could imagine is some Django app that uses MPL to plot
> stuff into a javascript canvas element complete with zooming and so on.

Yes, I use django and instead of mpl, I use the flotr library, that
does zooming+plotting automatically.

> I think there are a lot of open questions in this domain... For example,
> presumably one doesn't want the server involved when the client browser
> zooms. But then if you implement something that allows the client
> browser to zoom without the server MPL process, you're no longer using
> the normal MPL callback system. So, interactivity would probably be

Yes, in fact, I am not using MPL at all.

> different than in the traditional backends.
>
> You could also start with the svg backend, as browsers do render svg.

I wonder what to do now. I think I'll just emulate the MPL api, that's
easy. Anyway, I can work finally.

Thanks for the help!

Ondrej