On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Eric Firing <efir...@hawaii.edu> wrote:
> On 07/20/2010 08:30 AM, Darren Dale wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Michael Droettboom<md...@stsci.edu>  wrote:
>>> We've seen this before.  It seems to have to do with files that were
>>> created after the branching.  While I haven't found a solution, it's
>>> been going on a long time and seems to be benign.
>>
>> Ok, thanks.
>>
>>> (And, yeah, making the leap to a DVCS would probably not be a bad
>>> "solution" to this problem.)
>>
>> I was going to ask when the transition might occur, then decided against it.
>>
>> When might the transition occur?
>
> Although I would like the transition to occur soon, it might make sense
> to let the numpy people do it first so that we can take maximum
> advantage of their systematic approach.  I don't know how much of a
> delay that would entail, but it might provide us with a nice ready-made
> set of instructions, saving us from some thrashing around.
>
> If Mike or Andrew or anyone else proficient in svn and git has the time
> to make the jump earlier, though, I wouldn't object.  I can't help much,
> if at all, with the transition myself, and I will need some simple
> recipes (very mpl-specific, like the present instructions for taming the
> svnmerge monster) for the git workflow.  I understand the basic ideas,
> and work routinely with mercurial, but git will take some practice.  (It
> is possible that I will be able to use hggit, but usually there are
> gotchas with such translation interfaces, and using the native system
> ends up being the better course of action.)

I can't speak to what the NumPy folk are doing, but I can say that
moving the trunk of one of my small subversion projects over to git
was as easy as:

0) Create authors.txt to map svn committers to git committers
1) Checkout svn trunk using git-svn (which results in a git repo)
2) Push to github

I was really surprised.

Ryan

--