msvcr71.dll is a dll required for virtually every application built with
MSVC7.1. For example, py2exe distributes it by default when it builds
exes. However, it is so common, most systems already have it, installed
by some other app.

I'm guessing in this case, you're working with a new Windows box that
hasn't had much installed on it yet. I don't have it booted up now, but
I don't have much installed on my Windows box, and I have at least a
half a dozen copies of it on my system, a few in standard system
directories.

For completeness, I guess that dll should be included in the egg. In the
  meantime, search your system for it, I bet you have at least one copy.
If not, I'll bet you can get it from MS's web site.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised it isn't distributed with
Python in the first place. Someone with a Windows box should do a search
and see where they are, and if there is one with Python.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]