Jordan Atlas wrote:
> Ok, so am I to understand that usetex=True is not supported for PDF/EPS
> output?

In 0.90.1, it is not supported in PDF.

>  Can you explain what the "Tex-like mathtext format parsed by
> matplotlib" is?

matplotlib also has a built-in math formatting engine that does not use
TeX itself.  You can use it by leaving "usetex=False" (the default) and
putting a '$' at the beginning and end of your TeX strings.

   Plotting.xlabel(r'$\alpha^2$')

Unfortunately, the built-in engine only supports a subset of what TeX
can do.  That subset is much smaller in 0.90.1 than in the current SVN,
where much progress has recently been made.

See here for information pertaining to version 0.90.1:

   http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/matplotlib.mathtext.html

Cheers,
Mike

--