I am trying to help a student get started with
Python/Scipy/Numpy/Matplotlib in windows.  On one of his machines,
everything seems to install correctly, we can call figure(1) without a
problem, and plotting is fine until we try the show() command.  Then
python crashes without much in the way of useful information.  His
laptop is completely fine.

We have downloaded a current rc file and set the backend to TkAgg.

Any thoughts?

How do we get more info to track down the problem?

Thanks,

Ryan