On Dec 11, 2007 1:01 PM, Ryan Krauss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am trying to help a student get started with
> Python/Scipy/Numpy/Matplotlib in windows.  On one of his machines,
> everything seems to install correctly, we can call figure(1) without a
> problem, and plotting is fine until we try the show() command.  Then
> python crashes without much in the way of useful information.  His
> laptop is completely fine.
>
> We have downloaded a current rc file and set the backend to TkAgg.
>
> Any thoughts?

First try

  >>> import numpy
  >>> numpy.test()

there is a numpy problem on windows that affects older machines.

If that works, create a simple test file that generates a plot and
calls savefig and run it with

  > python myscript.py --verbose-debug-annoying

try different backends by adding -dPS or -dAgg to the verbose flag
from the command line and see which backends crash and report back
with the verbose output

JDH