I suspect an explicit conversion to str may be required on your
configuration/platform.  (I think you mentioned you were using Windows).

Can you change line 592 of mathtext.py to read:

     font = FT2Font(str(basename))

and let me know if that fixes your problem?  If so, I'll commit this to SVN.

Note that you may also have problems if there are any non-ascii
characters (with accents etc.) anywhere in the path to mpl's fonts.  In
general mpl doesn't really handle Unicode paths correctly wherever C/C++
code is involved.  Hopefully that can be resolved in a future version.

Cheers,
Mike

Jordan Dawe wrote:
> Rob Hetland wrote:
>> I really like Arev Sans, but others like the new STIX fonts.  This
>> setup is for Arev Sans.  The important stuff is what begins with
>> mathtext.  If you want serif fonts, this should be enough to get you
>> started on customizing.  Just make sure whatever fontset you pick has
>> all of the math symbols built in, or change fallback_to_cm to True.
> When I converted my matplotlibrc to the settings you listed, the result
> was pages and pages of exception tracebacks ending in:
>
> C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\mathtext.py in _get_font(self,
> font)
>     590         cached_font = self._fonts.get(basename)
>     591         if cached_font is None:
> --> 592            font = FT2Font(basename)
>     593            cached_font = self.CachedFont(font)
>     594            self._fonts[basename] = cached_font
>
> If I remove all the LaTeX from my expressions, this error goes away.
>
> Jordan
>
> TypeError: cannot return std::string from Unicode object

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute