Jordan Dawe wrote:
> Michael Droettboom wrote:
>> This is going to be a tricky one, particularly since I don't have
>> access to Illustrator.  All I know is the eps and pdf output of
>> simple_plot.py looks fine for me in ghostscript, acroread, xpdf and
>> evince.  Even text select copy and paste works fine in acroread (with
>> both Type 3 and 42 fonts).  So my guess is that unfortunately
>> Illustrator is not fully covering the spec, and we've inadvertently
>> moved to using a feature it doesn't like.
> Just to be clear: Type 3 font output opens fine in illustrator for both
> pdf and eps output.  Type 42 pdf output opens in illustrator but eps
> gives an error.  The type 42 eps output opens fine for me in ghostscript
> and in Scribus for windows (which probaby is just using gs anyways...?)
> Illustrator definitely looks like the picky one here, but it seems
> strange to me... isn't eps Adobe's format?

Sure, but these formats are complex enough I'm not terribly surprised
there's problems.  I'm not necessarily blaming Illustrator here, either.

>> Now if this really did work in Illustrator in 0.90.x and not now, one
>> could start to compare the output by hand and see what the root cause
>> may be.  If you set "pdf.compression" to 0, the Pdf file becomes
>> vaguely readable, and tools such as diff can help to locate
>> differences.  I would take the output of 0.90.1 and 0.91.2 and compare
>> (the SVN trunk will be too different to be useful), and then start
>> moving things over piece by piece until it works again.  I'm afraid
>> that without Illustrator, it will be hard for me to do that.
> It was definitely working in illustrator before, and isn't working now.
> If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.  Want a type
> 42 and type 3 version of my eps output?

Maybe it makes sense to work on what causes errors first, and worry
about the editing problems second.  So, that would probably mean
comparing eps with Type 42 from mpl 0.90.1 and 0.91.2.  I'll try and get
these going and might ask you to try some hacked up files in Illustrator
for me as I try to narrow down the real cause.

Cheers,
Mike

--
Michael Droettboom