Chris:

I have used cygwin to compile numpy and scipy svn versions for win XP on
my old athlon system.  I believe the scipy site has some detailed
instructions.  However, I have done a lot of compiling on my linux
system and so that part was easy (configure, make, make install, etc)  I
don't know about mpl but scipy for sure was very sensitive to the
platform and the stock scipy distro blew up big time doing curve fitting
optimizations.  Compiling my own versions made those problems go away,
thankfully.  You can download cygwin and install it easily enough but
then you need to pick which of the included programs to install and that
is a pain unless you have disk space and can do everything.

For numpy and scipy I did the following in the cygwin prompt after
cd-ing to where I keep my sources:

  "/cygdrive/c/python25/python.exe setup.py config --compiler=mingw32
build \
 --compiler=mingw32 bdist_wininst " and this produced a windows .exe
installer.

I tried mpl last night and it failed due to some dependencies, I think
it was freetype that was missing and I couldn't satisfy the requirements
but maybe someone on the list can enlighten us.  With that taken care
of, it should be straightforward.

Wayne