On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Andrew Jaffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> All the usual apologies if this is a FAQ, but I can't find it.
>
> Is there any way to change the backend interactively when using ipython?
>
> Best of all would a way to make changes in the middle of a session, but
> even being able to do it at the beginning without editing matplotlibrc
> would be great.

Mid-session you can't swtich *GUI* backends in ipython because the
entire GUI event loop can only be initialized once.  But at startup,
as of fairly recent versions you can do:

ipython -pylab -Xthread

for X in {g,w,q,q4}.  This will force a specific threading/gui backend
regardless of your mplrc settings.

Cheers,