Tim Michelsen wrote:
> Hello Jeff,

> This one I solved using a m.scatter() function

> interpolation, etc. to get a contour map?
>
>>> For interpolation of irregular, randomly distributed data points see
>>> http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib/
>>>
> Gridding_irregularly_spaced_data.
>
>>> However, if there is some structure to the data grid then it's probably
>>> better not to use these approaches.
>>>
> The problem is that although regular spaced the grid is still to large to
> countour to a nice map. I will play a bit more with contour and other
> interpolation functions.
>
> I tried griddata:
>

>> 2) using the griddata package
>> Here I was nearly without orientation how to call griddata correctly.
>>
> I tried again.
>
> Here is what I got:
>     x = data[:,1]
>     y = data[:,0]
>     z = data[:,2]
>     X, Y = mlab.meshgrid(x, y)
>     X, Z = mlab.meshgrid(x, y)
>     # zi = griddata(x,y,z,xi,yi,**kwargs)
>     Z = grid.griddata(x,y,z, X, Y)
>       plt.contour(X,Y, Z)
>
> => ValueError: output grid defined by xi,yi must be monotone increasing
>
> The coordinates are stored in a way that first longitude (x) increases and
> then the latitude (y) increases.
> 10  6.0 4
> 10 6.25 3
> 10 6.50 2
> 10 6.75 1
> 10  6.0 6
> 11 6.25 7
> 11 6.50 6
> 11 6.75 9
> 12 6.0 4
>
> What how do I need to arrange my data to get it monotone increasing for
> griddata?
>
> Thanks for your help. One settled I will send you another example for the
> examples package.
>
> Kind regards,
> Timmie

Timmie:  You shouldn't use griddata.  You have a regular lat/lon grid,
so it's just a matter of loading the data into the proper 2-d array.
Please send a self-contained script (and post the data somewhere) and
then we can help you.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/PSD1        FAX   : (303)497-6449