Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My OS is Windows XP with Service Pack 3

I'm using an easy-install .egg distribution. Whether I downloaded it
somewhere or simply installed it using easy-install, I don't remember.

I have another version of matplotlib (0.91.2) installed, which does not seem
to be used. This one was installed using the Windows installer from the
matplotlib homepage. This should not interfere, should it?

Running the script with --verbose-helpful gives the following results (I
removed parts of the path information)

$HOME=\pfaff
CONFIGDIR=\pfaff\.matplotlib
matplotlib data path
\python25\lib\site-packages\matplotlib-0.98.3-py2.5-win32.egg\matplotlib\mpl
-data
loaded rc file
\python25\lib\site-packages\matplotlib-0.98.3-py2.5-win32.egg\matplotlib\mpl
-data\matplotlibrc
matplotlib version 0.98.3
verbose.level helpful
interactive is False
units is False
platform is win32
Using fontManager instance from \pfaff\.matplotlib\fontManager.cache
backend TkAgg version 8.4

Now that I think of it:
In the IPython reference, I read about possible problems with tk. When
starting IPython I use -pylab -tk because otherwise I can only do one plot
and the plotting window hangs once I issue another plotting command.
As I didn't find where to tell matplotlib to behave like these two switches
were set, I get by with constantly restarting my interpreter when working
interactively.
Could this be part of the problem?

Cheers,

Thomas