Selam Esmail,

I do not think there is an easy way of learning matplotlib. (Nor there is a
quick ref to make your life easier.)

I have learnt mostly by using matplotlib for my homeworks ( while everyone
using IDL or Matlab) --which is in my opinion has been best way to adapt
myself into scientific Python lands. Having a very appealing visual face has
helped me a lot to progress in this way.

What I recommend you is: watching John Hunter's video at Matplotlib by John
D. Hunter <http://videolectures.net/mloss08_hunter_mat/>. His introduction
of matplotlib and examples he use could be very interesting to watch for
you.

Also you can take a look at this book: Beginning Python Visualization:
Crafting Visual Transformation Scripts

Good luck on your plotting adventures.

Gökhan